Monday, October 17, 2011

The Emotional and Psychological Stuff That You Can't Shake Off

The last paragraph of Jeffrey Eugenides' "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Write 'The Marriage Plot'":

"That’s the intellectual background of The Marriage Plot. But you don’t write a novel from an idea, or at least I don’t. You write a novel out of the emotional and psychological stuff that you can’t shake off, or don’t want to. For me, this had to do with memories with being young, bookish, concupiscent, and confused. Safely in my 40s, married and a father, I could look back on the terrifying ecstasy of college love, and try to re-live it, at a safe distance. It was deep winter in Chicago when all this happened. Every day I looked out my office window at snow swirling over Lake Michigan. After separating the two books, I put one in a drawer and kept the other on my desk. I ran off with The Marriage Plot and didn’t look back. I changed completely, became a different person, a different writer; I started a new life with a new love, and all without ever leaving home.
"

(Looking forward to reading Eugenides' latest novel, which is currently on its way to my house.)

No comments: