Thursday, April 2, 2009

Coppola Quote

Francis Ford Coppola has a new movie coming out this summer. It's called Tetro, and it's his first original screenplay since The Conversation. (I always think of The Conversation as coming out before The Godfather, but no, actually it came out between The Godfather and The Godfather II.)

There's a website for the movie, including some interesting facts about Coppola in the bio section.

He says that since a lot has been written about him online, he'd rather talk about a few things you might not know about him. Like this:

"My advice to aspiring filmmakers is to get married and have a family. It's motivation and inspiration."

On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have the John Malkovich character from Woody Allen's Shadows and Fog saying family is the death of the artist.

I think I'll go with Coppola...

2 comments:

Scott Garson said...

i like the Coppola take. i can definitely relate. though it might have just been an age/development thing, i remember how slow i was b4 i was married, how much i'd think about everything i was writing as i was writing it, how i'd never let things go. No chance for any of that now. If I want to write, it's like: go go go go go go

Andrew Roe said...

Definitely. Time is such a precious commodity these days. There is now a sense of urgency, of commitment, of focus that perhaps wasn't there before.

Thanks, by the way, for adding the link to my blog. I keep meaning to add a list of blogs myself, but, you know, time is such a precious commodity these days...