Saturday, May 30, 2009

Tom Waits Rules Too



"I'm the closest thing to myself that I know."

I came across this Tom Waits quote while reading a New York Times review of a new biography of him. I wasn't aware there was a biography of Tom Waits. I am now. I'd like to read it.

Brief Tom Waits story: My wife and I were camping in Yosemite a few years ago. We saw a guy who reminded us of Tom Waits: the pork pie hat, the professional slouch, the baggy clothes, hands thrust into pockets, soul patch, etc.

"Hey," said Maria. "Check out the Tom Waits wannabe over there."

The guy was now walking toward us. Getting closer and closer. Staring down at the ground. Turns out: it was no wannabe. It was the man himself. Camping. Alone. We wanted to talk to him but chickened out. ("Uh, hi Tom Waits. I think you're, like, really really cool." What do you say in these situations?)

Then, just a few months later, we were driving through Sebastopol (I don't remember why). We noticed an old beater car parked on the side of the road. Somebody was getting into the car... that somebody was... Tom Waits.

No comments: